Thursday, August 2, 2007

sytycd top 8 results show

The opening dance was a HIP HOP routine choreographed by Shane Sparks to Ciara's GET UP. With the exception of the opening routine from week 2, I typically don't care for his choreography... to me, it's just blah. The spotlight was on LAUREN this week, who was dressed up in some Matrix-like costume. Whatever... I didn't get it and I didn't like it.

Cat looked absolutely stunning and chic tonight. Adam Shankman totally got it right when he referred to her as "Cat-rey Hepburn". I vote to keep him as a permanent part of the panel for the remainder of the season. He's so dynamic and expressive! I thoroughly enjoy his critiques and comments. The opening banter between Cat and the "jidges" went on waaay too long. A dancer's life: hard and penniless, unless you break into the big time as a movie director like Adam or a choreographer like Kenny Ortega. Then, there was the whole issue of whether or not a girl could actually win this season, given the predominantly young female viewing audience. I'm quite shocked Mary didn't use the opportunity to promote Lacey. She basically just acknowledged that the competition was any one's game at this point. Cat gave a shout out to season one winner Nick Lazzarini, who was in the audience..

Each contestant danced a solo in their own style to showcase their skills. For 2 of them, it would be their last. Let the drama begin...

SARA kicked things off with an incredible display of tricks to SET IT OFF by Big Daddy Kane. Her solo was packed with energy, highlighted by a flourish of spins at the end!

LACEY did a lot of sliding around on the stage to Rocket Summer's I'M DOING EVERYTHING... not so good. It was uninspiring and weak. Enough already with the tube socks. (This would turn out to be the worst solo of the night.)

SABRA worked it out to Shemekia Copeland's BETTER NOT TOUCH. She is positioning herself as a frontrunner, no doubt. The judges have heaped much love onto her over the past several weeks... and rightfully so. This girl can dance!!

Finally for the girls, LAUREN performed hip hop to LAST NIGHT by P. Diddy. She was OK. I actually prefer to see her dance this style. That being said, I'm beyond ready for her to go home.

You could barely hear Cat as she began to introduce the first guy, which could only mean one thing: NEIL was about to dance. The screams were undeniable... this guy has the teen and tween vote locked down tight. His solo was set to BETTER MAN by James Morrison. It was a contemporary dance with his signature spinning sidekick thing. Doesn't do much for me, but most gals seem to like him.

My man DANNY was up next, dancing to Elvis Presley's version of FEVER. Homeboy pulled out all the stops tonight!! One of the best solos ever. Danny makes everything look effortless. He even paid homage to Neil with a phenomenal tumbling pass... "Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you!" Smooooth.

DOM broke out a prop for his routine to yet another great song, SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA by Carl Carlton. He's quite the entertainer and super likable! His moves are absolutely amazing. Much respect for giving credit to the b-boy in Korea for the chair idea.

The last solo of the evening was by PASHA. Without question, this guy is in it to win it! He performed to SCOTT & FRAN'S PASO DOBLE from the Strictly Ballroom Soundtrack. The spectacular cape... the striking poses... the dramatic facial expressions... I have only one thing left to say: "OLE!"

Time to get down to business and reveal the bottom 4 dancers.

SARA was in the bottom 2.

LACEY was safe.

LAUREN was in danger yet again.

SABRA the superstar was safe! She's headed to the finale, for sure.

DANNY was the first guy to learn his fate. Cat reminded him that he'd already been in the bottom three times this season... oh, no! I had a bad feeling. Then, she thankfully revealed that he was SAFE!! Woo, hoo!!

PASHA was also safe!

America got it right, IMO... DOM and NEIL were the bottom 2 guys.

OneRepublic delivered the best performance ever by a musical guest on this show!! Real musicians... live vocals... and the track actually sounded as good as when it was produced in the studio! Love, love, love this song!! Check out the performance clip below:



Then, the results. WHAT?!?! SARA was eliminated and not LAUREN??? Who in the world is voting for Lauren? The girl is like a cat with 9 lives. The guy voted off was DOM, as I predicted. I'm going to miss the pair of them. Kudos to the b-boy and b-girl for showing tremendous growth and versatility. They were the most successful breakers ever on the show. Tonight was the night for superlatives, that's for sure! So, I am officially 1 for 4... not so great. Next week, we're one step closer to the finale. Bring it on!!