Tuesday, January 15, 2008
always a bridesmaid
"Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin',
Plannin' and dreamin'..."
As I watched a preview the for the upcoming Katherine Heigl film 27 DRESSES, I couldn't help but think of Mitt Romney. Heigl's character is "a perennial bridesmaid whose own happy ending is nowhere in sight." At this point in his campaign, I'm sure Romney can relate on some level.
With his large organization and vast amount of financial resource$ $pent in Michigan, Mitt Romney heads into today's primary virtually TIED with John McCain and with Mike Huckabee in striking distance. Romney claims to be satisfied with his 2 silver medals in Iowa and New Hampshire {SPIN!}, but you know he wants to win GOLD in the state his father was the governor of for 6 years. A defeat in Michigan would be most embarrassing, especially given his home field advantage.
Unlike the Republican establishment and the FOX NEWS pundits, voters just can't seem to wrap their arms around Romney. In her OP-ED column in the New York Times, I think Gail Collins hit the nail on the head when she writes,
"Unfortunately, there’s something about Romney’s perfect grooming, his malleability and his gee-whiz aura that seems to really irritate both the other candidates and the voters... What bothers voters about Romney, as it turns out, is not his Mormonism but his inherent Mitt-ness."
IMHO, Mitt Romney's likability factor is non-existent. ZERO... ZILCH... NADA. Huckabee oozes charm and charisma, while Romney oozes hair gel. What Mitt's camp labels as inherent optimism regarding jobs in Michigan, I view as pandering to potential voters. Romney, in the long tradition of what I dislike about most politicians, will SAY ANYTHING to get elected. He'll jump on a bandwagon faster than you can say "CHANGE" in a Democratic primary debate!
Sooo, what will become of Mitt's high profile courtship of the Michigan electorate? Will he once again play Julia Roberts to Huckabee's or McCain's Cameron Diaz in MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING? Tonight's primary results will inevitably signal a turning point in Romney's campaign... for better or for worse!
