Inspirational Songs
Michael Johns - DREAM ON - I'm loving the ascot look he's been rockin' the past couple of weeks! WOW... so, he's def not Steven Tyler, but I give him props for going all out on that song!! Great way to start off the night.
Syesha Mercado - I BELIEVE - Sorry, girl, I just DON'T get you. I cringed when I heard her song choice... Fantasia sang "the living daylights" out of that song (as Randy put it). Why does she insist on choosing songs that will inevitably invoke comparisons to the original artist? SHE. DOES. NOT. COMPARE. Don't believe me? Click here for Fantasia's emotionally charged rendition. It brought tears to my eyes back then and it still does today. I'm such a sap!
Jason Castro - OVER THE RAINBOW - perfect song, well-suited for his voice. He gets extra credit points for playing the ukulele! Absolutely beautiful... he totally recaptured the magic of HALLELUJAH from week 3. Way to go, Jason!
Kristy Lee Cook - ANYWAY - a great inspirational song, she sang it quite well... one of her best performances. She had me at hello. My fave lyrics of the night:
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good.
And when I pray,
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should.
But I do it anyway,
I do it anyway.
David Cook - INNOCENT - that was hot! Dude is a ROCK STAR!! I think the judges just didn't get the song choice, it's a matter of taste. I loooved it!
Carly Smithson - THE SHOW MUST GO ON - I guess Carly's stylist didn't get the memo from Simon last week. (What was up with Simon's admission that she "looked good" tonight? Simon IOC!) She really powered through that song vocally. Unfortunately, I didn't like it so much.
David Archuleta - ANGELS - absolutely amaaazing song, totally in his comfort zone. To be fair, since I ripped Syesha to shreds about this earlier, it did NOT compare to the original by Robbie Williams. The first time I ever heard the song was when Miss Washington performed it on the Miss America pageant (of all places!). I much preferred her version... it was more poignant, more powerful IMO.
Brooke White - YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND - heartfelt, lovely vocal. Not one of the most memorable performances of the night, but certainly not the worst.
** MY TOP 5 ** Jason Castro, Michael Johns, David Cook, David Archuleta, Kristy Lee Cook
** MY BOTTOM 3 ** Brooke White, Carly Smithson, Syesha Mercado
