Tuesday, March 11, 2008

american idol 7 - top 12

Lennon-McCartney Songs

Syesha Mercado - GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE - meh, it was okay. She definitely had some problems, the beginning was very shaky. I just haven't been sold on her vocal prowess. I've forgotten the song already... Syesha, who?

Chikezie Eze - SHE'S A WOMAN - the beginning of the arrangement sounded like something straight out of O Brother, Where Art Thou? featuring the Soggy Bottom Boys. (For the record, I typed that comparison before Paula blurted it out after his performance.) Halfway through, he started dancing around the stage like a maniac and the vocals got really, really messy. I guess he was *somewhat* entertaining.

Ramiele Malubay - IN MY LIFE - girlfriend needs to pump up the volume! She sings beautifully... but she lacks personality and picks dull songs, which makes her utterly forgettable. Kiss of death, I'm afraid.

Jason Castro - IF I FELL - his interview was sooo endearing. Perfect song choice... so sweet, so tender. I love the vulnerability in his voice. He's a keeper, for sure!



Carly Smithson - COME TOGETHER - loooved the song choice. I must admit, I haven't been a fan... until tonight! Incredible!!



David Cook - ELEANOR RIGBY - in the words of Shane Sparks, judge on America's Best Dance Crew, he smaaashed it... the guitar, that is. The performance was still rockin'! He was right at home on the big stage, amidst the flurry of blinding lights. BTW, how fierce is that new stage?!



Brooke White - LET IT BE - she gave me goosebumps. Such an original, distinct voice... a true artist! I agree with Randy in that her performance was heartfelt and full of conviction.



David Hernandez - I SAW HER STANDING THERE - loved the argyle skinny tie! Very entertaining, but a bit too "wedding singer"-ish tonight.

Amanda Overmyer - YOU CAN'T DO THAT - she got down to the nitty gritty and rocked it out, Southern style. Total hotness!



Michael Johns - ACROSS THE UNIVERSE - he's got stage presence for days, another solid performance. There's stiff competition this year and he can't coast on charisma forever, he needs to step it up next week!



Kristy Lee Cook - EIGHT DAYS A WEEK - it got a little off tempo and overall I was underwhelmed. What a disaster! Quote of the week: "It was like being at some sort of ghastly country fair or something... you know, a couple of banjo players and you." I feel you, Simon. That country was definitely not cool!

David Archuleta - WE CAN WORK IT OUT - oh, no he didn't... David committed the cardinal sin of forgetting his lyrics. It was a hot mess!! I do believe his frontrunner status is officially in jeopardy after that misstep, especially given the stellar performances of Carly Smithson, Brooke White, and David Cook earlier in the evening.

** MY TOP 6 ** Carly Smithson, David Cook, Brooke White, Amanda Overmyer, Jason Castro, Michael Johns

** MY BOTTOM 6 ** David Hernandez, David Archuleta, Chikezie Eze, Syesha Mercado, Kristy Lee Cook, Ramiele Malubay