Saturday, September 15, 2007

become who you are



I highly recommend this week's FREE DISCOVERY DOWNLOAD on iTunes by Mainstay. The song BECOME WHO YOU ARE is both riveting and meaningful! We can all relate to the lyrics:

--chasing after the wrong things and holding on to things we can't keep... things of this world which are temporary and leave us with that unsatisfied, empty feeling;

--learning the hard way, from mistakes we've made, rather than the wisdom of another... especially wisdom imparted through God's Word;

--searching for answers we don't need, as if our thoughts are God's thoughts and our ways are God's ways... all the knowledge in the world won't bring fulfillment, as evidenced by Solomon in Ecclesiastes 1:18 when he concluded, "For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow".

No one is perfect... we're well aware of this fact, but that doesn't keep us from exhausting our energy and resources in a vain attempt to be just that: PERFECT! We're bombarded by ads marketing the perfect body, the perfect house, the perfect car, the perfect job. It all looks quite appealing, fun even, like if you had all that "stuff" then you wouldn't have anything to worry about ever again.

However, God's picture of perfection is much different; quite simply, it's Christ. As a Christian, we're to emulate Christ... an extremely tall order, given that Romans 3:23 states: "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". The GOOD NEWS, however, is proclaimed in the very next verse: "[all] are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus".

GOD'S GRACE = JUSTIFICATION.

Why are we saved? We are saved for God's glory. Justification is followed by sanctification. Sanctification means to be set apart for holy use... for God's use. In Philippians 2:12-13, Paul says, "...continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose". God created each of us with a plan and a function. By the power of the Holy Spirit, we become more like Jesus in our thoughts, words, and actions... primed for God's purpose.

SANCTIFICATION = GOD'S GLORY.

Sanctification is an ongoing process... a process that is impossible without the Lord. All too often, we as imperfect humans stumble and fall because we choose to live in the flesh instead of the Spirit. We make mistakes; we suffer the consequences of those mistakes; and, by the grace of God, we learn from those mistakes. BECOME WHO YOU ARE is a song that conveys the frustration, disappointment, humility, wisdom, and hope that stems from this experience.

Get this widget Share Track details


BECOME WHO YOU ARE
by Mainstay

So it seems that I’m wrong
Cause you said that
I would never want for anything again
But my eyes are set low
And I’m holding
To the things that I know I can’t keep

I keep on chasing the wrong things
And coming up empty
This isn’t who I’m supposed to be
I keep on learning the hard way
From every mistake

And I’m finding each time that you fall
You’re just becoming who you are

So it seems that I’m wrong
Cause I keep on
Searching for the answers that I don’t need
I know I don’t need

I keep on chasing the wrong things
And coming up empty
This isn’t who I’m supposed to be
I keep on learning the hard way
From every mistake

And I’m finding each time that you fall
You’re just becoming who you are


We are all vessels created by God to be utilized according to His will. Despite what we perceive to be flaws or failures, mishaps or mistakes, the Lord can use ANY ONE and ANY SITUATION for His glory. The Bible is 100% proof positive. I received one of those chain emails a long time ago that really hammered this point home. I googled it and would like to share it with you.

Moses stuttered.
David’s armor didn’t fit.
Hosea married a prostitute.
Amos only had experience as a fig tree pruner.
Jacob was a liar.
David had an affair.
Solomon had too much money.
Abraham and Sarah were too old.
Timothy had ulcers.
Joseph was a nuisance.
Peter was a coward.
Lazarus was dead.
John was self-righteous.
Naomi was a widow.
Jonah was disobedient.
Miriam was a gossip.
Thomas was a doubter.
Jeremiah was suicidal.
Elijah suffered from depression.
Paul was a murderer.
So was Moses.
Not to mention David.
John the Baptist dressed funny.
Martha was a worrywart.
Samson needed a haircut.
Noah had a drinking problem.
Moses had a short fuse.
Zacchaeus was very short.
David was only a teenager.
So was Mary, the mother of Jesus.
So was Daniel.
So were many others who were used by God.